Pages

Followers

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Coconut Oil and Eggs

All of the sudden, I am so strong. I don't just mean that I'm lifting more pounds during crossfit strength work. I mean, I am noticing a new control I have over my body that makes me feel strong. Yesterday, during yoga, every movement felt brand new - like each pose was more stable and present. It was the first time I had done yoga since joining crossfit. Pre-crossfit I was somewhat of a yogi and I was always pretty good because I am flexible. however, yesterday all of my movements felt so much more controlled. I realized that I was focused less on the pain of sitting in Warrior I for minutes, but more on the elongation, and elation you feel in those positions. Pyramid wasn't excruciating - instead it felt like a wonderful stretch for the back of my front leg.


The more concrete evidence of my strength is there too. Last week, I got my kipping pullup. Today, I one arm pressed at 30 lbs - only two weeks ago I was pressing at 20 lbs. And my handstands are just so much fun. I can walk around on my hands. Today, I did a one armed handstand. It feels amazing to expand the repertoire of your body's movement. And it's empowering to have such control over what you want your body to do. I can think - I want to do a handstand and then raise one arm up in the air. Done.


Finally, this progress must be largely attributed to paleo. Here's why: This past weekend, I went off paleo for 3-4 days. On Monday, I really went all out and ate whatever the hell I wanted (this usually means lots of baked goods and froyo). On monday I also felt exhausted, heavy as a rock, jittery ... just a lot of not so fun feelings. Since then, I've been back to eating strict paleo and all of the sudden things taste better. Food is more fun. Crossfit is more fun.


this dish below was Incredible! 1 egg and 2 egg whites scrambled with zucchini and tomato all in coconut oil. Ohhhh, if you want your eggs to taste heavenly, just scramble them in coconut oil.






One blogger wrote a post about how when you eat paleo, everything you eat tastes delicious. I have found this so be so incredibly true. When you're not numbing your appetite with an overkill of dense sugars, processed crap, then you begin to pick up on all of the natural flavors in oils, spices, fruits and veggies. The egg dish above tasted sweet!


Soooo - I'm definitely sticking to paleo for a little while longer at least. It's just a good rule to stick to that's not overly draining and stressful on the body. It's the exact opposite. 

No comments:

Post a Comment