Coincidental that Erin posted a link to this article on CFCC's page because it's a great telling of an experience most of us have gone through AND this happened to me this morning...
I decided it was about time to step on the scale. I haven't done this in some time, because I knew I wouldn't like it. I am not a slave to the scale by any means, but I use it occasionally to keep myself honest... So, when you're feeling low, weak and defeated, why not hop and the scale and push yourself further into self-pity? Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. Let's just say I saw a number higher than I have seen in a looooong time. It was actually a jaw-dropping, heart in my stomach, completely frozen kind of moment. How did this happen??? Stupid, effing scale.
Eat, Lift, and Be Happy: It's my fault
Hahaha.
I'm over it but I really wasn't over it this morning. I hopped on the scale last night and got myself into the crossfit gym this morning. 8 am. I told everyone I ran into about my scale experience and even texted a few friends. I don't know why but writing things out (not in a private journal but in public), and saying things out loud help keep me accountable.
After crossfit I felt better and made this...
| Trader Joe's purchase to make my life easier |
| added chopped onions in coconut oil of course |
| basil |
| making my life easier - chopped veggies for future use |
| scramble |
Here is what I learned
Paleo is not easy. In fact I started this blog because I felt the need to document the amount of work I was putting into EVERY meal! I completely forgot this and now I remember - Paleo is planning.
If you don't have a fridge full of food, emergency meat, kale, noms then you're not going to survive paleo. If you find yourself at sweetgreen spending $10 on a salad several times a day, you're doing something wrong. If you find yourself stuck, traveling, with nothing paleo in sight (and then you go buy chocolate or granola bar (not paleo)), then you're definitely doing something wrong. If you're starting to have sugar cravings more than several times a day, you're definitely not eating clean.
Paleo is methodical.
My dad is eating paleo but he barely prepares any of his own meals. He eats out or my mom always cooks. Juxtaposing this with my experience has made me realize that an integral part of paleo is standing in my kitchen with basil to my left, chopping veggies to my right and deciding between coconut oil or olive oil for my dish. The methodical act of preparing my food is part of the experience of eating paleo - subconsciously you're keeping tabs on just how many eggs you devour or simply the number of flavors all present in your bowl. Paleo is preparation.
No comments:
Post a Comment