Pages

Followers

Monday, July 2, 2012

Distraction

Got a text from a friend asking me how the thesis work is going - made me realize that I haven't looked down at my book for the past hour... instead, I've been reading these articles by Tim Kreider and developing a crush.
I suspect there is something inherently misguided and self-defeating and hopeless about any deliberate campaign to achieve happiness. Perhaps the reason we so often experience happiness only in hindsight, and that chasing it is such a fool’s errand, is that happiness isn’t a goal in itself but is only an aftereffect. It’s the consequence of having lived in the way that we’re supposed to — by which I don’t mean ethically correctly so much as just consciously, fully engaged in the business of living. 
-Tim Kreider "Averted Vision"

hahaha... The 'Busy' Trap
More and more people in this country no longer make or do anything tangible; if your job wasn’t performed by a cat or a boa constrictor in a Richard Scarry book I’m not sure I believe it’s necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment