Pages

Followers

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Success and Aftermath

Results
Larissa -
You ended the challenge at 22.1% bodyfat.  You started at 24.1%, so that’s an 8.3 percentage** improvement from start.  Great job!You gained 0.5lb of lean mass and lost 3.4lbs of fat mass!
That was my email from my nutrition coach. I ended the challenge at the oh so coveted weight of 125 lb!

Start weight:    128 - 129 (gym measurements)
Start body fat:  24.1 %

End weight:    125 lb
End body fat:  22.1%


The averages from a chart from American Council of Exercise (for women) are:
Essential Fat: 10-12%Athletes: 14-20%Fitness: 21-24%Acceptable: 25-31%
Sooo I'm getting closer and closer to "athletes" body fat and that feels amazing. I am very very happy with this challenge because not only did I make my coveted target weight but I also learned A LOT about myself and paleo.

Lessons

1. Sugar is a drug
And I am an addict. There is no way for me to limit my sugar intake unless I'm eating paleo. I did something I've NEVER done before- I went a whole 30 days without a bit of chocolate. From day 1 I limited my sugar intake to 1 sweet potato or fruit a day. I got a little off balance somewhere in the middle (with a few too many Lara bars) but then ended really strong. I think this had an amazing and cleansing effect on me.

2. Replace my sugary snacks with salty ones
These were some of my favorites and they made 30 days not only bearable but enjoyable



- Almond butter

-Paleo rosemary crackers that are SUPER EASY


- Sweet potato mash (bake sweet potato, then food process with "coconut butter")

-Bacon
just get nitrate free 

- Cauliflower Mash
make this steaming cauliflower (or buy Trader Joes bagged cauliflower and microwave), throw in food processor with olive oil and salt and herbs

- Creamy Avocado and Spinach Spaghetti Squash


3. Alcohol is NOT my downfall
Sure, I had an alcohol plan this challenge - I was limited to 1 bottle of wine / week. But, not cutting out alcohol completely was just what I needed. Last challenge I think it kind of put me over the edge - I still need to take it a bit easy on myself when I make the decision to cut out dairy, gluten, sugar, legumes and grains.

4. Community is everything
I was about to fall off the bandwagon half-way through this challenge. I don't have a strong network of friends at Crossfit Balance and I did not know ANYONE else doing this challenge with me. Without the accountability I almost gave into the 2 week intense sugar cravings. But then, I had my loves and the best friends in the world come to the rescue. Both PZ and thai decided to finish off the challenge with me and even though the majority of their emails were about this little paleo "fails", their support and the community can me the motivation and drive to finish strong. 

5. I can do midterms + last week of paleo at. the. same. time.
Yup, it was like the climax of my life and it was not easy to hold it all together. For finishing strong and for being super prepared for my midterm I have my boyfriend to thank. I don't know how he manages to do everything he does and simultaneously take care of me.  


The Aftermath
I'm on fall break bitches



2 pounds of MEAT - my boyfriend has totally caught on to my lifestyle
My carrot cake paleo cupcakes courtesy of Elena's Pantry 
Back to paleo with yams, steak and salad with mushrooms and avocado
first non paleo indulgence - strawberry mojito to ease the post midterm pain
Sharing this pile of sugar is totally cool - Froyo right?
so so so much love

No comments:

Post a Comment