Pages

Followers

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Kale Chips and Nutrients: Response to Thai

Okay - I was having dinner with Thai and Priscilla the other night and we were talking about Paleo. Our conversation shifted to Kale chips. I was going on and on raving about them when Thai interjects, 'don't you know you basically just eating salt.' They were telling me that when you make kale chips, the greens lose all of their nutrients. So today I made kale chips and decided to look some of this up.

Not  that blogs are the most trusted sources of information - even this blog is full of my own musings on what I think paleo is - but according to several blogs, eating kale chips is totally cool.


Take this for example: Paleo Diet Lifestyle Blog
Like many green leafy vegetables, kale is a great source of vitamin K, vitamin C, manganese, calcium and copper. It’s also a great source of beta-carotene, which can be converted to the usable vitamin A, but the conversion is very poor for most humans. Also like most other green leafy vegetables, the nutrients in kale are harder to absorb when the vegetable is eaten raw.Eating kale with some fat will also help with the absorption of fat soluble vitamins like vitamin A, E and K. Quite the opposite of what a raw vegan would think of as healthy!


And this blog also gives a recipe for kale chips and suggests them as a great paleo dish. I even went onto some raw food blogs - they simply dehydrate their kale to make kale chips. I'm going to stop listening to Wharton students and Penn nonscience PhD students for my nutrition information. lol. 


Smoked Paprika Chicken Thigh recipe from the Make it Paleo people blog: chicken coated in paprika, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, cumin and olive oil and then baked - This was AMAZING

No comments:

Post a Comment