I've been traveling from Baltimore to Philly a lot this past week to spend time with my boyfriend and his family. His mother died of breast cancer last Wednesday - the day before my birthday. I met her one year ago, only months before her cancer resurfaced in the form of bone metastasis. The damage that cancer can do in 1 year to an otherwise healthy and resilient person is beyond the imagination. That bodies can withstand major trauma from the outside, you would never imagine that something invisible and internal could impact the body in such a way. From what I've seen and heard on facebook, everyone will remember her as vivacious and energetic - I will not forget that a week before she passed away she was being an active hostess for a large family gathering - cleaning dishes, setting tables, preparing food and socializing as if nothing were wrong. Unbelievable and amazing.
It's also amazing and comforting that so many people have come forward to give support to my boyfriend and his family. It's also a reflection of just how many people were positively affected by the life of his mother. On the other hand, we all felt that the stress and influence of illness are pervasive.One of the recent trends in the medical community is to no longer look at a person as an island. We are all so connected with others around us that it's impossible to make a decision that will affect just one person. The positive side is that when we are in need of support we often have a whole network of people to turn to. In my boyfriends case (because he and his family and his mother always will be so extraordinary) the network is deep and expansive.
I am part of that network and feel a special desire to express so much love right now. Public, blog-worthy love.
Our anniversary passed last month which means that I went back to look at old photos. My favorite photos of us are from the day we met. I think the pic on the left says it all - you're mine. The hand on the chest means, I know what I want. The photos also explain why our anniversary falls on the date that we first met. Obviously, from that day on we were dating and a month later we were unquestionably a couple.
![]() |
| The day we met and now |
I also FINALLY had time last night to cook, clean and take care of myself. In order to make my life easier I made egg muffins for breakfast, crockpot chicken for lunch and dinner and lots of sauteed cabbage. I have not been the best about eating breakfast which means I'm losing 4 point a day for skipping a meal! I made eggs for days to change that - a quick and easy breakfast.
![]() |
| eggs for days |
![]() |
| sad desk lunch |



No comments:
Post a Comment